Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and that I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Barcelona stole my heart back in 2006, when I arrived with a one-way Ryanair flight on a sunny October day. Since then, it’s been a love-hate relationship, it’s an incredible city and here are the best and unique things that make it so special.
1. Bakeries. Independent bakeries in Barcelona are a big thing. Despite being a multicultural modern city, luckily, independent shops are still appreciated. In my own street there are five bakeries, and they are all family-run. On a Saturday morning, we love getting a ‘bocadillo de jamón’ on our way to the beach. I miss that now that we are in ‘lockdown’.
2. Cycle paths. Barcelona is made for being outdoors and cycling. With Bicing, Donkey Republic and Yego, to name a few, you’re never too far from a bicycle, and the weather is always great for it, even at night, you’re never really cold.
3. Beer. I love small cold beer bottles, ‘quintos’. Barcelonians know how to drink their beer when it’s hot.
4. Balconies. Very underrated. Almost every flat will have a balcony, or a rooftop.
5. Veg & Fruit shops. Like bakeries, they are everywhere. I’m always impressed about how lovely the displays look like. It’s cheaper than at the supermarket and I always find new veggies, like round courgettes or even blue tomatoes! Love it!
6. Menu del día. I love these. You can have a complete meal including wine, coffee and dessert, for a tenner. And I’m talking about proper nice fish dishes and all.
7. Big avenues. I love walking down Passeig de Gracia or Diagonal. You can walks for miles and it’s so pretty.
8. The weather. Barcelona has perfect weather. It’s very sunny all year long except maybe March and April were you also get quite a lot of rain. But overall it’s more sunny than not. And in winter you may also get a few days parte to feel cosy.
9. Architecture. Mainly gothic and modernist. Barcelona is a stunning city, it’s an open museum that never stops to wow me.
Whether you live here or are visiting, make sure you check out my recommendations for best eats in Barcelona here: https://talesfromaredsuitcase.com/2020/03/04/latest-food-discoveries-in-barcelona/ and here: https://talesfromaredsuitcase.com/category/food/